
UK Pledges £8.7M to Keep Rape Crisis Helpline Running 24/7
A vital support service that has already helped over 275,000 survivors of sexual violence will continue operating around the clock thanks to major government funding. The investment will also expand access for deaf survivors and others with specialized needs.
More than 200,000 survivors of rape and sexual abuse now have a lifeline that won't go silent, thanks to £8.7 million in new government funding announced Thursday.
The Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line, run by Rape Crisis England & Wales since 2022, offers free, confidential help to anyone over 16 who has experienced sexual violence. The helpline operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and has already supported more than 200,000 phone calls and 75,000 online chats.
"For many survivors of rape or sexual abuse, talking to someone about what happened is a vital step on the road to recovery," said Alex Davies-Jones, the Minister for Victims and Violence Against Women and Girls. "Often, it can feel much easier to open up to someone you don't know."
The Ministry of Justice funding ensures the service will keep running without interruption. But it also does something more: it will expand access to survivors who previously faced barriers to getting help.
The enhanced service will introduce British Sign Language interpretation for deaf callers. It will also provide dedicated support tailored to survivors with different needs, making the helpline accessible to more people when they're ready to reach out.

The Ripple Effect
Since launching just two years ago, the helpline has become a crucial safety net for hundreds of thousands of people. Every call answered, every chat message responded to, represents someone taking a brave step toward healing.
The impact extends beyond individual conversations. When survivors receive support, they're better equipped to navigate the justice system, access medical care, and begin rebuilding their lives. The government is backing this broader vision with £550 million over three years for victim support services.
Ciara Bergman, CEO of Rape Crisis England & Wales, emphasized the dedication behind the numbers. "Our partners, support line staff and volunteers work tirelessly to ensure that whenever the time is right, no matter who they are or when it happened, someone will be there to listen, believe and support them."
For survivors wondering if help is available, the answer is clear: yes, at any hour, any day. The support line operates when crisis doesn't keep business hours, when memories surface at 3 AM, when someone finally feels ready to talk after years of silence.
In a world where survivors often struggle to find someone who will simply believe them, this helpline offers something precious: a voice on the other end that says "I hear you, I believe you, and you're not alone."
More Images

Based on reporting by Independent UK - Good News
This story was written by BrightWire based on verified news reports.
Spread the positivity!
Share this good news with someone who needs it

